Friday, October 11, 2013

My New Job!!!

Today is my last official day as a full time employee of Shriners Hospitals for Children Greenville. I have worked there as a physical therapist for the last 6 years. This has been my one and only full time job since graduating from PT school in 2007. I have so many wonderful memories of the kids I have served and treated. The Shriners Hospital is such a special place and does so many wonderful things for children with special needs and orthopedic problems. I am going to miss the hugs and smiles I receive from my patients on a daily basis, and the satisfaction that I am making a difference in the lives of those I come into contact with. However, I have a much more important calling at home...one that is all of about 12 lbs!!! I am becoming a full time mommy, or as one of my friends posted in her blog...a play at home mom!!! 

Since I was a kid, I have wanted nothing more in life than to be a mom. Growing up, I didn't dream about the big fancy wedding, the kind of car I would drive, or the house I would live in. I only thought about having babies and being a mommy. I honestly never thought I would be where I am today. I was the girl who never dated, and figured I was not going to marry and probably not have kids. I figured it wasn't in God's plan for me. When I met Doug and got married, I could not have been any happier. He makes me smile, laugh, challenge myself, and just be the person God made me to be every single day. I still look at him and think, wow! we are married. I could not have asked for a better mate/best friend in life. When we decided we were ready (if you can even say you are ready!) to start having kids, I was ecstatic! We tried for over a year to become pregnant without success. I thought to myself...I have a wonderful husband and maybe it is not meant for us to have children of our own. I can love on all the ones I treat at the hospital. We continued with fertility treatments for another few months before one took, and we became pregnant!!!!!!!! I finally had tears of joys instead of tears of sorrow and even fear.

August 1, 2013, became one of the happiest days of my life. I knew we had the baby we so longed for. I also knew that I could not leave Callen on a daily basis to go to work. I know there will be days when I am wearing more spit up, food, etc. than Cal has managed to take into his mouth. There will be days we compete to see who can change the most outfits (I think we are tied at 4 a piece in one day!), he cries nonstop, won't sleep, and drives me to tears. I know those days are coming (if they haven't already!) with this new adventure. 
I am sure he will be Mr. Crabby Pants at some point!

But I also know that I will be able to witness and enjoy all the laughs, smiles, and milestones that come with being a parent. We have been able to surprise Doug for lunch at his favorite spot, hang with Aunt Kimber at school for a few hours, FaceTime grandparents in the mid morning when Cal is in his best mood, and just be bums on rainy yucky days. I know if I was going back to work, these things would have only been possible during my maternity leave, and not for months and years to come. I treasure every day I am able to spend with Callen, no matter how easy or hard the day is. I try not to complain about his minimal napping at times, or his constant crying on a day when he is overly tired. I know these days are short lived and in years to come, I will not remember them. I will only remember all the fun, laughs, smiles, and giggles we will be able to have on a daily basis.

When Callen smiles, laughs, or does something new, I know I am doing the right thing. I worried so much about telling work, and especially the families I work with. I called each family I am close with and personally told them my news. Every mom and every lady
at work expressed to me how happy they were with the choice I had made. Most wished they could have done the same thing, while the rest said they had done the same thing and wouldn't trade in those years for anything. So, Monday starts my official day as a play at home mom! I still plan to work PRN at Shriners, but don't want to do that for a while yet. I would like Callen to be older before I leave him for an entire day. This momma ain't ready for that yet!!!

How could I leave this sweet face?!?!
Or miss making these smiley faces and laughing?
He is such a happy baby! I love this boy so much!!!

So, Happy Friday to everyone. I know we are going to have a great day in whatever we get ourselves into! Have a great weekend and enjoy the wonderful fall weather.

1 comment: