Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Our Little Helper


These days, Callen wants to imitate everything Doug and I are doing. If we throw a ball, he picks it up, and tries to throw it. If Doug is brushing his hair, Callen will grab a similar object and act like he is brushing his hair, or wait until Doug is done with the brush and use it. It is great that he is taking so much interest in what we are doing. 

As it closer to dinner and bed time, Callen becomes increasingly fussy (like most kids, right???). He is constantly clinging to my legs, wanting to be held, or crying for attention. In order to help with the crying, Doug started taking Cal into the basement to empty the dehumidifier, and thenthey go outside to dump the water. Callen was always wanting to carry the 5 gallon buckets, so Doug got out Cal's beach bucket for him to use. Now the two of them walk around the yard and water plants and spray the ferns on the front porch. Cal thinks anytime Doug is going into the basement, he needs to go with him. He about has an all out crying fit if Doug goes without him.


The other day I took Callen into the basement with me to get laundry. He went straight to the water buckets, and tried to carry them. I filled his bucket with water and took him outside to water the plants. He went right to the plants Doug and him normally water. He then walked up onto the front porch because he knows the ferns are the next thing to be watered. So funny how much he knows and remembers.

Our floors stay a mess! Between Doug and me, we must sweep the floors in the kitchen and eating area at least 3x/day. Callen must feel since he makes some all of the mess, he should help with the sweeping!

Working hard
Sweeping it all into the dust pan

Making sure he got it all!

Mommy, I'm all done!!

When I'm in the kitchen trying to cook or do anything, I have 2 little feet right under me. Doug and I have both about fallen on top of Cal because he appears at your feet before you know it. Most of the time I can keep him occupied with the tupperware drawer or some other cabinet. He pulls out every pot, pan, and lid there is. His favorite is the spice rack. He loves to pull out the spices and shake them. Most of the time they end up all over the floor (hence the sweeping 3x/day!). Cal just wants to be involved, but I wasn't able to let him be up on the counter with me, and I can't cook with him on my hip. Then I saw the greatest thing ever that my sister's friend made for her little girl...an activity tower. Doug built one for Cal this past weekend, and I am loving it. He is able to be counter height with me, secured, and he can act like he is cooking with me...or at least see what is going on. This is going to be a lifesaver down the road, and so much fun for Cal as he is able to do more in the kitchen with me. If he starts getting fussy, I ask him if he wants to help. He jumps into my arms, and loves to be at my level to help!


Helping mommy cook dinner


I hope Callen is excited to help with chores and other projects around the house as he gets older. It is wonderful to see how excited he gets when he realizes he did something like Doug or me. He claps and gets a big grin on his face. I know that Doug and me are enjoying having someone think we are pretty awesome and wanting to do everything like us!

No comments:

Post a Comment