Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Callen Goes To School




Callen started preschool this year!! He is going to 4th Presbyterian Church in their Little Folks of Fourth Program. He goes to school Monday and Wednesday mornings (9:00-1:00) in the 2 and 3 year old class. The class is a mix of kids with Cal probably being the youngest and few kids that are already three. The class follows a curriculum, but the biggest lessons taught in the class are independence and self care. They want the kids to be as independent as possible before moving to the 3 and 4 year old class. 

We prepped Callen for a while about school. He didn't really think too much about it until he rode with a neighbor to drop her little girl off at school. He saw the teacher take the child from the car (and away from her momma!) and not come back. That was probably not the best thing for Callen to see a week before he went to school. After that experience, anytime you mentioned school he would say no and often times started crying. It was pitiful. I knew the first day would not go well, but it was something that had to be done...get it over with! Doug and I both took Cal that first day. There was such a whirlwind of activity in the classroom that we didn't even meet two of the teachers. One teacher was so sweet and finally came over and took Cal from us to divert his attention. We left but I kept my phone close by waiting for a phone call to come and pick him up...it never happened! He survived his first day. 
This is the 'I'm not going to school today' face!

Cal has gone to school twice since then and still cries and gets nervous/upset when we pull onto the street the school is on. He cries most of the way into the school and as I am leaving him. However, the teachers tell me that he settles down very quickly and has a good time. He still gets weepy when I pick him up, but I think he is so relieved I am back to get him! Doug and I were able to join him for lunch and a mini open house today. It was so good to see him playing in the classroom and not wanting to leave. He does like it there...he just likes it better with mommy and daddy there with him!

Eating lucnh

Showing us where we go to leave

Get me out of here!
I was feeling a little frustrated after that first day of craziness and wondered if we were doing the right thing sending him to school. But after seeing him today and hearing that he does well once we are gone, I am glad he is going. He will learn so much and it will be good for him to be around kids his own age a few days a week. Before long he will be telling me he can walk in on his own and for me to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment